Sofia's Chicken Paprikash
Brilliant red paprika, the main seasoning in Hungarian cooking, gives this light version of chicken paprikash its color. Vary the heat by using hot, sweet or a combination of paprikas. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a side of steamed broccoli and a cool fruit salad for dessert.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion,halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mostly evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to a lively simmer. Spoon some sauce over the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 263 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 804 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique