Sofia's Chicken Paprikash
Brilliant red paprika, the main seasoning in Hungarian cooking, gives this light version of chicken paprikash its color. Vary the heat by using hot, sweet or a combination of paprikas. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a side of steamed broccoli and a cool fruit salad for dessert.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion,halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mostly evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to a lively simmer. Spoon some sauce over the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 263 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 804 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Eastern European/Russian