Sofia's Chicken Paprikash
Brilliant red paprika, the main seasoning in Hungarian cooking, gives this light version of chicken paprikash its color. Vary the heat by using hot, sweet or a combination of paprikas. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a side of steamed broccoli and a cool fruit salad for dessert.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion,halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mostly evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to a lively simmer. Spoon some sauce over the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 263 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 804 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation