Snow Pea, Orange & Jícama Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
This salad of snow peas, oranges and jícama is sweet, sour and full of crunch.
- 4 cups snow peas (about 12 ounces), trimmed
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small jícama, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup; see Tip)
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Have a bowl of ice water by the stove. Steam snow peas until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the peas to the ice water. Drain.
- Cut peels and white pith from oranges. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from surrounding membranes. Squeeze the peels and membranes over the bowl to extract about 3 tablespoons juice before discarding them. Transfer the segments with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot, sugar and salt into the juice. Return the segments to the bowl along with the snow peas and jícama; toss with the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Jícama is a round root vegetable with brown skin, white flesh and a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. Look for it with other produce.
Per serving: 138 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 150 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (132% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2010