Snow Pea, Orange & Jícama Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
This salad of snow peas, oranges and jícama is sweet, sour and full of crunch.
- 4 cups snow peas (about 12 ounces), trimmed
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small jícama, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup; see Tip)
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Have a bowl of ice water by the stove. Steam snow peas until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the peas to the ice water. Drain.
- Cut peels and white pith from oranges. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from surrounding membranes. Squeeze the peels and membranes over the bowl to extract about 3 tablespoons juice before discarding them. Transfer the segments with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot, sugar and salt into the juice. Return the segments to the bowl along with the snow peas and jícama; toss with the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Jícama is a round root vegetable with brown skin, white flesh and a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. Look for it with other produce.
Per serving: 138 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 150 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (132% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2010