Snow Pea, Orange & Jícama Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
This salad of snow peas, oranges and jícama is sweet, sour and full of crunch.
- 4 cups snow peas (about 12 ounces), trimmed
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small jícama, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup; see Tip)
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Have a bowl of ice water by the stove. Steam snow peas until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the peas to the ice water. Drain.
- Cut peels and white pith from oranges. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from surrounding membranes. Squeeze the peels and membranes over the bowl to extract about 3 tablespoons juice before discarding them. Transfer the segments with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot, sugar and salt into the juice. Return the segments to the bowl along with the snow peas and jícama; toss with the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Jícama is a round root vegetable with brown skin, white flesh and a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. Look for it with other produce.
Per serving: 138 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 150 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (132% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2010