Snow Pea, Orange & Jícama Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
This salad of snow peas, oranges and jícama is sweet, sour and full of crunch.
- 4 cups snow peas (about 12 ounces), trimmed
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small jícama, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup; see Tip)
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Have a bowl of ice water by the stove. Steam snow peas until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the peas to the ice water. Drain.
- Cut peels and white pith from oranges. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from surrounding membranes. Squeeze the peels and membranes over the bowl to extract about 3 tablespoons juice before discarding them. Transfer the segments with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot, sugar and salt into the juice. Return the segments to the bowl along with the snow peas and jícama; toss with the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Jícama is a round root vegetable with brown skin, white flesh and a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. Look for it with other produce.
Per serving: 138 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 150 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (132% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2010