I made this tonight. Came together very easily and quickly, would be even quicker if you do the veggie chopping ahead of time! Very good flavors from the mushrooms, onions and wine, and amazing chewy whole grain texture from the bread ( I used 12-grain) and tempeh. Served with honey-glazed carrots on the side. Only thing is that the wine took a bit longer to reduce then the recipe says, but that's no big deal. I'll definitely make this again.
Smothered Tempeh Sandwich
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you're keen to explore vegetarian options, try protein-rich tempeh smothered with red-wine-braised mushrooms and provolone cheese. If you're vegan, substitute your favorite soy cheese. Make it a meal: Enjoy a glass of beer and a spinach salad.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (119 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (75 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)