Smothered Tempeh Sandwich
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you're keen to explore vegetarian options, try protein-rich tempeh smothered with red-wine-braised mushrooms and provolone cheese. If you're vegan, substitute your favorite soy cheese. Make it a meal: Enjoy a glass of beer and a spinach salad.
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 8 thin slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- Cut tempeh in half widthwise, then slice each piece horizontally to make 4 thin slices total.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine. Add tempeh slices and spoon some of the mushroom mixture over them; cook until the tempeh is heated through and the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, top with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide the tempeh among half the toasted bread. Top with the mushroom mixture and the remaining toasted bread. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, fermented soybean loaf. Find it (plain or with added grains) near refrigerated tofu in natural-foods stores and many large supermarkets. We particularly like SoyBoy 5 Grain and Lightlife Flax tempeh.
Per serving: 452 calories; 19 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 595 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (35% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2007