Smothered Tempeh Sandwich
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you're keen to explore vegetarian options, try protein-rich tempeh smothered with red-wine-braised mushrooms and provolone cheese. If you're vegan, substitute your favorite soy cheese. Make it a meal: Enjoy a glass of beer and a spinach salad.
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 8 thin slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- Cut tempeh in half widthwise, then slice each piece horizontally to make 4 thin slices total.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine. Add tempeh slices and spoon some of the mushroom mixture over them; cook until the tempeh is heated through and the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, top with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide the tempeh among half the toasted bread. Top with the mushroom mixture and the remaining toasted bread. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, fermented soybean loaf. Find it (plain or with added grains) near refrigerated tofu in natural-foods stores and many large supermarkets. We particularly like SoyBoy 5 Grain and Lightlife Flax tempeh.
Per serving: 452 calories; 19 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 595 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (35% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 2007