Smothered Tempeh Sandwich
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you're keen to explore vegetarian options, try protein-rich tempeh smothered with red-wine-braised mushrooms and provolone cheese. If you're vegan, substitute your favorite soy cheese. Make it a meal: Enjoy a glass of beer and a spinach salad.
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 8 thin slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- Cut tempeh in half widthwise, then slice each piece horizontally to make 4 thin slices total.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine. Add tempeh slices and spoon some of the mushroom mixture over them; cook until the tempeh is heated through and the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, top with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide the tempeh among half the toasted bread. Top with the mushroom mixture and the remaining toasted bread. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, fermented soybean loaf. Find it (plain or with added grains) near refrigerated tofu in natural-foods stores and many large supermarkets. We particularly like SoyBoy 5 Grain and Lightlife Flax tempeh.
Per serving: 452 calories; 19 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 595 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (35% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 2007