Smothered Green Beans with New Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This green bean recipe from chef Alex Patout of Landry’s restaurant in New Iberia, Louisiana, gets plenty of flavor from bacon and onions.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 12 ounces new potatoes (4-6 small), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and cook until slightly browned but still soft. Add beans, onions, potatoes, pepper, salt and water. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour. Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and most of the water has evaporated, 20 to 25 minutes more.
Per serving: 88 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 272 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2012