Smothered Green Beans with New Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This green bean recipe from chef Alex Patout of Landry’s restaurant in New Iberia, Louisiana, gets plenty of flavor from bacon and onions.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 12 ounces new potatoes (4-6 small), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and cook until slightly browned but still soft. Add beans, onions, potatoes, pepper, salt and water. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour. Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and most of the water has evaporated, 20 to 25 minutes more.
Per serving: 88 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 272 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2012