From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Don't let the name intimidate you. This delicious take on the Swedish “savory sandwich torte” is sure to please family and guests alike. We've transformed this traditional smoked-fish dish into a light layered sandwich that captures the essence of Scandinavia. Make it a meal: Serve with a beet salad or steamed red potatoes.
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Kitchen Tip), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rinsed capers, (optional)
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, shredded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 12 thin slices whole-wheat bread, or rye bread, lightly toasted
- Mix sour cream, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, dill, onion and capers (if using) in another medium bowl. Stir in half of the sour cream mixture.
- Add trout, celery, parsley, caraway seeds (if using) and pepper to the remaining sour cream mixture.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide the egg mixture among 4 slices of bread. Top with bread, then spread with the trout mixture. Top with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Kitchen Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 385 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 326 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Fiber (16% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007