From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Don't let the name intimidate you. This delicious take on the Swedish “savory sandwich torte” is sure to please family and guests alike. We've transformed this traditional smoked-fish dish into a light layered sandwich that captures the essence of Scandinavia. Make it a meal: Serve with a beet salad or steamed red potatoes.
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Kitchen Tip), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rinsed capers, (optional)
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, shredded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 12 thin slices whole-wheat bread, or rye bread, lightly toasted
- Mix sour cream, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, dill, onion and capers (if using) in another medium bowl. Stir in half of the sour cream mixture.
- Add trout, celery, parsley, caraway seeds (if using) and pepper to the remaining sour cream mixture.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide the egg mixture among 4 slices of bread. Top with bread, then spread with the trout mixture. Top with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Kitchen Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 385 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 326 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Fiber (16% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007