From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Don't let the name intimidate you. This delicious take on the Swedish “savory sandwich torte” is sure to please family and guests alike. We've transformed this traditional smoked-fish dish into a light layered sandwich that captures the essence of Scandinavia. Make it a meal: Serve with a beet salad or steamed red potatoes.
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Kitchen Tip), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rinsed capers, (optional)
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, shredded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 12 thin slices whole-wheat bread, or rye bread, lightly toasted
- Mix sour cream, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, dill, onion and capers (if using) in another medium bowl. Stir in half of the sour cream mixture.
- Add trout, celery, parsley, caraway seeds (if using) and pepper to the remaining sour cream mixture.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide the egg mixture among 4 slices of bread. Top with bread, then spread with the trout mixture. Top with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Kitchen Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 385 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 326 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Fiber (16% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007