Smoky Stuffed Peppers
Turkey sausage and smoked cheese give a flavorful boost to this versatile, somewhat retro dinner. We've speeded it up by microwave-blanching the peppers and using instant brown rice. If possible, choose peppers that will stand upright.
- 6 large bell peppers, tops cut off, seeded
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked cheese, such as mozzarella, Cheddar or Gouda, divided
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the peppers to a roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and rice; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is softened but still moist, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the rice absorbs the remaining liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Stir basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture. Divide the filling among the peppers, then top with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 294 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 0 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (230% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation