Smoky Stuffed Peppers
Turkey sausage and smoked cheese give a flavorful boost to this versatile, somewhat retro dinner. We've speeded it up by microwave-blanching the peppers and using instant brown rice. If possible, choose peppers that will stand upright.
- 6 large bell peppers, tops cut off, seeded
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked cheese, such as mozzarella, Cheddar or Gouda, divided
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the peppers to a roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and rice; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is softened but still moist, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the rice absorbs the remaining liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Stir basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture. Divide the filling among the peppers, then top with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 294 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 0 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (230% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient