From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
In this lightened-up meatloaf, healthy low-calorie shredded zucchini keeps very lean beef moist but doesn’t take away from the meat itself. The flavor gets a boost from a touch of smoked paprika, Worcestershire and a sweet ketchup glaze. We’ve also included a variation with Italian flavors.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked (see Tips)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tips)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place zucchini, bell pepper, shallot and water in a medium microwavable bowl, cover and microwave on High until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Carefully uncover and drain the vegetables in a sieve, gently pressing out as much moisture as possible; spread out on a large plate to cool slightly.
- Whisk egg, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire, marjoram, salt, paprika and pepper in a large bowl. Add the vegetables and stir to combine. Add breadcrumbs and toss to combine. Add beef and gently knead with clean hands to combine with the vegetable mixture; do not overmix. Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape (approximately 10 by 4 inches) on the prepared baking sheet. Spread ketchup (or barbecue sauce) over the top of the loaf.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160°F, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Italian Variation: Substitute 1/2 cup diced fennel bulb for the bell pepper, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning for the marjoram, regular paprika instead of smoked and marinara sauce in place of the ketchup (or barbecue sauce).
- Tips: Paprika is a spice made from grinding dried red peppers. Paprika specifically labeled Hungarian delivers a fuller, richer flavor than regular paprika. Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor. It can be used in many types of savory dishes. Look for different types of paprika at some large supermarkets or at tienda.com or penzeys.com.
- To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. To make fine breadcrumbs, process until very fine. To make dry breadcrumbs, spread coarse or fine breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving: 276 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 2 g fiber; 595 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (21% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- The Simple Art of EatingWell