From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
In this lightened-up meatloaf, healthy low-calorie shredded zucchini keeps very lean beef moist but doesn’t take away from the meat itself. The flavor gets a boost from a touch of smoked paprika, Worcestershire and a sweet ketchup glaze. We’ve also included a variation with Italian flavors.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked (see Tips)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tips)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place zucchini, bell pepper, shallot and water in a medium microwavable bowl, cover and microwave on High until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Carefully uncover and drain the vegetables in a sieve, gently pressing out as much moisture as possible; spread out on a large plate to cool slightly.
- Whisk egg, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire, marjoram, salt, paprika and pepper in a large bowl. Add the vegetables and stir to combine. Add breadcrumbs and toss to combine. Add beef and gently knead with clean hands to combine with the vegetable mixture; do not overmix. Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape (approximately 10 by 4 inches) on the prepared baking sheet. Spread ketchup (or barbecue sauce) over the top of the loaf.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160°F, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Italian Variation: Substitute 1/2 cup diced fennel bulb for the bell pepper, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning for the marjoram, regular paprika instead of smoked and marinara sauce in place of the ketchup (or barbecue sauce).
- Tips: Paprika is a spice made from grinding dried red peppers. Paprika specifically labeled Hungarian delivers a fuller, richer flavor than regular paprika. Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor. It can be used in many types of savory dishes. Look for different types of paprika at some large supermarkets or at tienda.com or penzeys.com.
- To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. To make fine breadcrumbs, process until very fine. To make dry breadcrumbs, spread coarse or fine breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving: 276 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 2 g fiber; 595 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (21% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- The Simple Art of EatingWell