Smoky Ham & Corn Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Fresh corn, diced deli ham and crunchy croutons are tossed with a smoky, creamy dressing in this light summer salad. Serve with a crisp glass of rosé and sliced melon.
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups trimmed frisée, (about 1 large head) or 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 1 large ear; see Tip)
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-grain
- 3/4 cup diced ham, (about 4 ounces)
- Whisk sour cream, vinegar, paprika and salt in a large bowl. Add frisée (or salad greens), tomato, corn, croutons and ham; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Smoked paprika is a spice made from ground smoke-dried red peppers. It's available in some large supermarkets with other spices and at tienda.com.
- Tip: To remove corn from the cob, stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Per serving: 182 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 707 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Folate (52% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2009