Smoky Ham & Corn Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Fresh corn, diced deli ham and crunchy croutons are tossed with a smoky, creamy dressing in this light summer salad. Serve with a crisp glass of rosé and sliced melon.
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups trimmed frisée, (about 1 large head) or 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 1 large ear; see Tip)
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-grain
- 3/4 cup diced ham, (about 4 ounces)
- Whisk sour cream, vinegar, paprika and salt in a large bowl. Add frisée (or salad greens), tomato, corn, croutons and ham; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Smoked paprika is a spice made from ground smoke-dried red peppers. It's available in some large supermarkets with other spices and at tienda.com.
- Tip: To remove corn from the cob, stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Per serving: 182 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 707 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Folate (52% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009