Smoky Corn & Lobster Stew
Dreaming of the Maine coast on a breezy summer night? Savor a bowl of this stew and you're there.
- 2 large ears corn, unhusked
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, washed, divided
- 2 live lobsters, 1-1 1/4 pounds each
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded (12 ounces)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes (8 ounces)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Soak corn in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 7 cups water, wine, bay leaf and 1 leek to a boil in a large pot. Add lobsters and cover. Cook until the lobsters turn bright red, about 10 minutes. Transfer the lobsters to a cutting board. Reserve cooking liquid.
- When the lobsters are cool enough to handle, twist off tails and claws. Using kitchen shears, cut the underside of the tail shells in half; pull out meat. Crack the claws with a nutcracker or hammer and remove meat. Cut the lobster meat into 1/2-inch pieces; place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Return shells to the cooking liquid.
- Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill. Oil the grill rack.
- Drain the corn and grill with the remaining leek, tomatoes and onion, turning occasionally, until charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove leek, tomatoes and onion. Grill corn 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Husk the corn. Cut the kernels from the cobs and add to the reserved lobster meat. Add husks and cobs to the reserved liquid.
- Remove skins from the tomatoes; add the skins to the reserved liquid along with half the onion. Coarsely chop the tomato flesh, grilled leek and remaining onion and place in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a boil over high heat. Cook until reduced to 4 cups, 25 to 30 minutes. Strain into a 4-quart pot.
- Add potatoes, the chopped grilled vegetables, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the reserved lobster and corn, reduce heat to low and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in basil. Serve in wide bowls, passing hot sauce separately.
Per serving: 160 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 197 mg sodium; 641 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient