Smoky Corn & Black Bean Pizza
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
The secret to a grilled pizza is having all your ingredients ready to go before you head out to the grill. Make it a meal: Toss the extra black beans, diced tomato and some avocado with prewashed salad greens and a tangy vinaigrette and dinner is on the table in no time.
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 2 ears)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, preferably smoked mozzarella
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine tomato, beans and corn in a medium bowl. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Stretch the dough into about a 12-inch circle and lay it on top of the cornmeal, coating the entire underside of the dough.
- Transfer the crust from the baking sheet to the grill. Close the lid and cook until the crust is puffed and lightly browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, flip the crust. Spread barbecue sauce on it and quickly sprinkle with the tomato mixture and cheese. Close the lid; grill until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 316 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 530 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- June/July 2006