Smoky Corn & Black Bean Pizza
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
The secret to a grilled pizza is having all your ingredients ready to go before you head out to the grill. Make it a meal: Toss the extra black beans, diced tomato and some avocado with prewashed salad greens and a tangy vinaigrette and dinner is on the table in no time.
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 2 ears)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, preferably smoked mozzarella
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine tomato, beans and corn in a medium bowl. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Stretch the dough into about a 12-inch circle and lay it on top of the cornmeal, coating the entire underside of the dough.
- Transfer the crust from the baking sheet to the grill. Close the lid and cook until the crust is puffed and lightly browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, flip the crust. Spread barbecue sauce on it and quickly sprinkle with the tomato mixture and cheese. Close the lid; grill until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 316 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 530 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- June/July 2006