Smoky Artichoke-Sardine Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Smoked paprika and sherry vinegar add Spanish flair to the dressing of this artichoke-and-sardine salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, rinsed
- 2 ounces canned sardines
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- Place oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a blender or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; blend or shake until well combined.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with artichoke hearts, sardines and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Note: Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor. It can be used in many types of savory dishes. Look for different types of paprika at some large supermarkets or at tienda.com or penzeys.com.
Per serving: 383 calories; 26 g fat (4 g sat, 17 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 832 mg sodium; 808 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (51% dv), Calcium (32% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011