Smoky Artichoke-Sardine Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Smoked paprika and sherry vinegar add Spanish flair to the dressing of this artichoke-and-sardine salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, rinsed
- 2 ounces canned sardines
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- Place oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a blender or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; blend or shake until well combined.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with artichoke hearts, sardines and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Note: Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor. It can be used in many types of savory dishes. Look for different types of paprika at some large supermarkets or at tienda.com or penzeys.com.
Per serving: 383 calories; 26 g fat (4 g sat, 17 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 832 mg sodium; 808 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (51% dv), Calcium (32% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011