Smoked Trout Salad with Herb & Horseradish Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Smoked trout tops heart-shaped watercress and mixed greens tossed with creamy horseradish dressing, creating a wonderful appetizer salad.
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups bite-size pieces watercress, or arugula (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup mâche, or mixed salad greens (see Ingredient Note)
- Herb & Horseradish Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces smoked trout fillet, skin removed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- Gently toss lettuce, watercress (or arugula) and m&acirc;che (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Toss with Herb & Horseradish Dressing to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Flake 1 ounce trout over each salad and sprinkle with scallions and capers (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Mâche (“mosh”), also known as lamb's lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores, large supermarkets and farmers' markets.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 425 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2008