Smoked Trout Salad with Herb & Horseradish Dressing
Smoked trout tops heart-shaped watercress and mixed greens tossed with creamy horseradish dressing in this protein-packed appetizer salad.
Herb & Horseradish Dressing
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or reduced-fat sour cream (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped mixed fresh herbs, including chives, dill, flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Smoked Trout Salad
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups bite-size pieces watercress or arugula (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup mâche (see Tips) or mixed salad greens
- 4 ounces smoked trout fillet, skin removed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk crème fraîche (or sour cream), herbs, horseradish, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined.
- To prepare salad: Gently toss lettuce, watercress (or arugula) and mâche (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Toss with Herb & Horseradish Dressing to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Flake 1 ounce trout over each salad and sprinkle with scallions and capers (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 week.
- Crème fraîche is a tangy, thick, rich cultured cream commonly used in French cooking. Find it in the dairy section of large supermarkets, usually near other specialty cheeses. Sour cream can be used as a substitute, or you can make your own lower-fat version by combining equal portions of reduced-fat sour cream and nonfat plain yogurt.
- Mâche (“mosh”), also known as lamb’s lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores, large supermarkets and farmers’ markets.
Per serving: 173 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat); 30 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 437 mg sodium; 325 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique