Smoked Trout Salad with Herb & Horseradish Dressing
Smoked trout tops heart-shaped watercress and mixed greens tossed with creamy horseradish dressing in this protein-packed appetizer salad.
Herb & Horseradish Dressing
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or reduced-fat sour cream (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped mixed fresh herbs, including chives, dill, flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Smoked Trout Salad
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups bite-size pieces watercress or arugula (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup mâche (see Tips) or mixed salad greens
- 4 ounces smoked trout fillet, skin removed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk crème fraîche (or sour cream), herbs, horseradish, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined.
- To prepare salad: Gently toss lettuce, watercress (or arugula) and mâche (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Toss with Herb & Horseradish Dressing to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Flake 1 ounce trout over each salad and sprinkle with scallions and capers (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 week.
- Crème fraîche is a tangy, thick, rich cultured cream commonly used in French cooking. Find it in the dairy section of large supermarkets, usually near other specialty cheeses. Sour cream can be used as a substitute, or you can make your own lower-fat version by combining equal portions of reduced-fat sour cream and nonfat plain yogurt.
- Mâche (“mosh”), also known as lamb’s lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores, large supermarkets and farmers’ markets.
Per serving: 173 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat); 30 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 437 mg sodium; 325 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique