Smoked Trout Salad with Herb & Horseradish Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Smoked trout tops heart-shaped watercress and mixed greens tossed with creamy horseradish dressing, creating a wonderful appetizer salad.
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups bite-size pieces watercress, or arugula (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup mâche, or mixed salad greens (see Ingredient Note)
- Herb & Horseradish Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces smoked trout fillet, skin removed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- Gently toss lettuce, watercress (or arugula) and m&acirc;che (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Toss with Herb & Horseradish Dressing to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Flake 1 ounce trout over each salad and sprinkle with scallions and capers (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Mâche (“mosh”), also known as lamb's lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores, large supermarkets and farmers' markets.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 425 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)