Smoked Trout Salad with Herb & Horseradish Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Smoked trout tops heart-shaped watercress and mixed greens tossed with creamy horseradish dressing, creating a wonderful appetizer salad.
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups bite-size pieces watercress, or arugula (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup mâche, or mixed salad greens (see Ingredient Note)
- Herb & Horseradish Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces smoked trout fillet, skin removed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- Gently toss lettuce, watercress (or arugula) and m&acirc;che (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Toss with Herb & Horseradish Dressing to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Flake 1 ounce trout over each salad and sprinkle with scallions and capers (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Mâche (“mosh”), also known as lamb's lettuce or corn salad, is a tangy green that resembles watercress. Popular in Europe, it is enjoyed in the first salads of spring. Look for it in specialty stores, large supermarkets and farmers' markets.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 425 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008