Smoked Trout, Potato & Arugula Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy dinner salad recipe, tender new potatoes and baby arugula add a creamy texture and peppery flavor to the smokiness of the trout. You can hard-boil the eggs ahead of time, but if you cook them while you steam your potatoes, they’ll still be a little warm when you serve the salad, which makes it extra special.
- 12 ounces baby (new) yellow potatoes or fingerlings, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups packed baby arugula
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), chopped
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan with 1 inch of water; bring to a boil. Place the potatoes in the basket, cover and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 13 to 15 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, chop 1 tablespoon capers and place in a large bowl. Add sour cream, vinegar, dill, oil, shallot, pepper and salt. Whisk to combine.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm, halve them (or quarter if large) and add to the bowl along with arugula, eggs and trout. Toss gently until just combined. Serve the salad topped with the remaining 1 tablespoon capers.
Tips & Notes
- To hard-boil eggs, place in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cook at lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and cover with ice-cold water. Peel when cool.
Per serving: 294 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 200 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 572 mg sodium; 572 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (23% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014