Smoked Trout, Potato & Arugula Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy dinner salad recipe, tender new potatoes and baby arugula add a creamy texture and peppery flavor to the smokiness of the trout. You can hard-boil the eggs ahead of time, but if you cook them while you steam your potatoes, they’ll still be a little warm when you serve the salad, which makes it extra special.
- 12 ounces baby (new) yellow potatoes or fingerlings, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups packed baby arugula
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), chopped
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan with 1 inch of water; bring to a boil. Place the potatoes in the basket, cover and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 13 to 15 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, chop 1 tablespoon capers and place in a large bowl. Add sour cream, vinegar, dill, oil, shallot, pepper and salt. Whisk to combine.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm, halve them (or quarter if large) and add to the bowl along with arugula, eggs and trout. Toss gently until just combined. Serve the salad topped with the remaining 1 tablespoon capers.
Tips & Notes
- To hard-boil eggs, place in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cook at lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and cover with ice-cold water. Peel when cool.
Per serving: 294 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 200 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 572 mg sodium; 572 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (23% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014