Smoked Trout, Potato & Arugula Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy dinner salad recipe, tender new potatoes and baby arugula add a creamy texture and peppery flavor to the smokiness of the trout. You can hard-boil the eggs ahead of time, but if you cook them while you steam your potatoes, they’ll still be a little warm when you serve the salad, which makes it extra special.
- 12 ounces baby (new) yellow potatoes or fingerlings, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups packed baby arugula
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), chopped
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skinned, boned and flaked (about 3/4 cup)
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan with 1 inch of water; bring to a boil. Place the potatoes in the basket, cover and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 13 to 15 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, chop 1 tablespoon capers and place in a large bowl. Add sour cream, vinegar, dill, oil, shallot, pepper and salt. Whisk to combine.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm, halve them (or quarter if large) and add to the bowl along with arugula, eggs and trout. Toss gently until just combined. Serve the salad topped with the remaining 1 tablespoon capers.
Tips & Notes
- To hard-boil eggs, place in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cook at lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and cover with ice-cold water. Peel when cool.
Per serving: 294 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 200 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 572 mg sodium; 572 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (23% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014