Smoked Trout Hash with Mustard Greens
We've combined assertive mustard greens, smoky trout and crisped potatoes in this interpretation of a hash. If you prefer a milder green, substitute mature spinach or chard. Make it a Meal: Lay a poached egg on top and serve with sliced tomatoes and cracked pepper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound precooked diced red-skinned potatoes, (about 2 1/2 cups; see Note)
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, flaked
- 4 cups thinly sliced mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crispy, adjusting heat if necessary to prevent burning, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the potatoes along with trout and greens. Cook, stirring, until the greens are just wilted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir 1 to 2 tablespoons water into the hash if it seems dry. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 633 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique