Smoked Trout Hash with Mustard Greens
We've combined assertive mustard greens, smoky trout and crisped potatoes in this interpretation of a hash. If you prefer a milder green, substitute mature spinach or chard. Make it a Meal: Lay a poached egg on top and serve with sliced tomatoes and cracked pepper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound precooked diced red-skinned potatoes, (about 2 1/2 cups; see Note)
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, flaked
- 4 cups thinly sliced mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crispy, adjusting heat if necessary to prevent burning, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the potatoes along with trout and greens. Cook, stirring, until the greens are just wilted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir 1 to 2 tablespoons water into the hash if it seems dry. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 633 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood