Smoked Trout Hash with Mustard Greens
We've combined assertive mustard greens, smoky trout and crisped potatoes in this interpretation of a hash. If you prefer a milder green, substitute mature spinach or chard. Make it a Meal: Lay a poached egg on top and serve with sliced tomatoes and cracked pepper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound precooked diced red-skinned potatoes, (about 2 1/2 cups; see Note)
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, flaked
- 4 cups thinly sliced mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crispy, adjusting heat if necessary to prevent burning, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the potatoes along with trout and greens. Cook, stirring, until the greens are just wilted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir 1 to 2 tablespoons water into the hash if it seems dry. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 633 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)