Smoked Trout Hash with Mustard Greens
We've combined assertive mustard greens, smoky trout and crisped potatoes in this interpretation of a hash. If you prefer a milder green, substitute mature spinach or chard. Make it a Meal: Lay a poached egg on top and serve with sliced tomatoes and cracked pepper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound precooked diced red-skinned potatoes, (about 2 1/2 cups; see Note)
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, flaked
- 4 cups thinly sliced mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crispy, adjusting heat if necessary to prevent burning, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the potatoes along with trout and greens. Cook, stirring, until the greens are just wilted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir 1 to 2 tablespoons water into the hash if it seems dry. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 633 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood