Smoked Trout Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Smoky trout is the perfect addition to this fast hash.
- 3 ounces smoked trout fillet
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Remove skin from trout and flake fish, removing any bones. You should have about 2/3 cup.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions and sauté until they start to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, until they brown in spots and become crusty, 7 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir in milk and cook, scraping up any browned bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in trout and 2 tablespoons dill and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon dill.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Smoked trout can be mail-ordered from Ducktrap River Fish Farm, ducktrap.com. Or use smoked salmon or lox.
Per serving: 434 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 70 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 7 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 1507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (43% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- March 1998