Smoked Trout Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Smoky trout is the perfect addition to this fast hash.
- 3 ounces smoked trout fillet
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Remove skin from trout and flake fish, removing any bones. You should have about 2/3 cup.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions and sauté until they start to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, until they brown in spots and become crusty, 7 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir in milk and cook, scraping up any browned bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in trout and 2 tablespoons dill and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon dill.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Smoked trout can be mail-ordered from Ducktrap River Fish Farm, ducktrap.com. Or use smoked salmon or lox.
Per serving: 434 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 70 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 7 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 1507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (43% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998