Smoked Trout Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Smoky trout is the perfect addition to this fast hash.
- 3 ounces smoked trout fillet
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Remove skin from trout and flake fish, removing any bones. You should have about 2/3 cup.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions and sauté until they start to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, until they brown in spots and become crusty, 7 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir in milk and cook, scraping up any browned bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in trout and 2 tablespoons dill and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon dill.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Smoked trout can be mail-ordered from Ducktrap River Fish Farm, ducktrap.com. Or use smoked salmon or lox.
Per serving: 434 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 70 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 7 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 1507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (43% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998