Smoked Trout Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Smoky trout is the perfect addition to this fast hash.
- 3 ounces smoked trout fillet
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Remove skin from trout and flake fish, removing any bones. You should have about 2/3 cup.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions and sauté until they start to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, until they brown in spots and become crusty, 7 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir in milk and cook, scraping up any browned bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in trout and 2 tablespoons dill and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon dill.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Smoked trout can be mail-ordered from Ducktrap River Fish Farm, ducktrap.com. Or use smoked salmon or lox.
Per serving: 434 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 70 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 7 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 1507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Potassium (43% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998