Smoked Sausage Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Smoked turkey sausage is a good substitute for higher-fat pork sausage; here it pairs with green bell pepper and onion for a great pizza topping.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (cup)
- 2 ounces smoked turkey sausage, or turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the dough. Scatter onion, bell pepper, sausage and cheese over the top and sprinkle with oregano and red-pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the pizza until the bottom and edges are browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995