Smoked Sausage Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Smoked turkey sausage is a good substitute for higher-fat pork sausage; here it pairs with green bell pepper and onion for a great pizza topping.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (cup)
- 2 ounces smoked turkey sausage, or turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the dough. Scatter onion, bell pepper, sausage and cheese over the top and sprinkle with oregano and red-pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the pizza until the bottom and edges are browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1995