Smoked Sausage Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Smoked turkey sausage is a good substitute for higher-fat pork sausage; here it pairs with green bell pepper and onion for a great pizza topping.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (cup)
- 2 ounces smoked turkey sausage, or turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the dough. Scatter onion, bell pepper, sausage and cheese over the top and sprinkle with oregano and red-pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the pizza until the bottom and edges are browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- September/October 1995