Smoked Sausage Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Smoked turkey sausage is a good substitute for higher-fat pork sausage; here it pairs with green bell pepper and onion for a great pizza topping.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (cup)
- 2 ounces smoked turkey sausage, or turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the dough. Scatter onion, bell pepper, sausage and cheese over the top and sprinkle with oregano and red-pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the pizza until the bottom and edges are browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995