Smoked Sausage Pizza
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Smoked turkey sausage is a good substitute for higher-fat pork sausage; here it pairs with green bell pepper and onion for a great pizza topping.
- Cornmeal for pan
- 1 pound Pizza Dough Prestissimo, (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (cup)
- 2 ounces smoked turkey sausage, or turkey kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting). Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the dough. Scatter onion, bell pepper, sausage and cheese over the top and sprinkle with oregano and red-pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the pizza until the bottom and edges are browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1995