Smoked Salmon Salad Niçoise
This twist on a classic salade Nicoise uses smoked salmon in place of tuna and adds extra vegetables in place of hard-boiled eggs and olives. Lovely served as an untraditional brunch, special weekend lunch or light supper.
- 8 ounces small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 6 ounces green beans, preferably thin haricots verts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 small cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 12 small cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Place potatoes in a steamer basket over the boiling water, cover and steam until tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the potatoes with a slotted spoon to the ice water. Add green beans to the steamer, cover and steam until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the green beans with a slotted spoon to the ice water. Transfer the potatoes and beans to a towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, dill and pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and green beans, salad greens, cucumber and tomatoes; toss gently to coat.
- Divide the salad and smoked salmon between 2 plates.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the potatoes and beans (Step 1) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 291 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 9 g fiber; 651 mg sodium; 1092 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (120% daily value), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (15% dv), high omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique