Smoked Salmon Canapes
Thin cucumber ribbons add a decorative finish to these classic hors d'oeuvres.
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked salmon, (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 32 slices cocktail pumpernickel bread, crusts trimmed
- 1/4 cup salmon roe, or red caviar (2 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- With a vegetable peeler, remove and discard a long strip of dark green skin from one side of one of the cucumbers. On that same side, continue to pare long thin strips edged in dark green until you reach the seedy portion " you should get about 3 strips. Rotate cucumber a quarter turn and continue paring, working your way around the cucumber. Repeat with the remaining cucumbers " you will need about 3 dozen strips in total. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the cucumber strips and blanch for 5 seconds. Immediately drain and refresh under cold running water. Lay the strips on paper towels to dry.
- Blend cream cheese, smoked salmon and horseradish in a small bowl. Shortly before serving, spread about 2 teaspoons of the salmon mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange a cucumber strip over each canapé and top with a few eggs of salmon roe (or red caviar). Garnish with pepper and a dill sprig.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The cucumber strips and salmon spread will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Per piece: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient