Smoked Salmon Canapes
Thin cucumber ribbons add a decorative finish to these classic hors d'oeuvres.
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked salmon, (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 32 slices cocktail pumpernickel bread, crusts trimmed
- 1/4 cup salmon roe, or red caviar (2 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- With a vegetable peeler, remove and discard a long strip of dark green skin from one side of one of the cucumbers. On that same side, continue to pare long thin strips edged in dark green until you reach the seedy portion " you should get about 3 strips. Rotate cucumber a quarter turn and continue paring, working your way around the cucumber. Repeat with the remaining cucumbers " you will need about 3 dozen strips in total. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the cucumber strips and blanch for 5 seconds. Immediately drain and refresh under cold running water. Lay the strips on paper towels to dry.
- Blend cream cheese, smoked salmon and horseradish in a small bowl. Shortly before serving, spread about 2 teaspoons of the salmon mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange a cucumber strip over each canapé and top with a few eggs of salmon roe (or red caviar). Garnish with pepper and a dill sprig.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The cucumber strips and salmon spread will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Per piece: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient