Smoked Salmon Canapes
Thin cucumber ribbons add a decorative finish to these classic hors d'oeuvres.
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked salmon, (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 32 slices cocktail pumpernickel bread, crusts trimmed
- 1/4 cup salmon roe, or red caviar (2 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- With a vegetable peeler, remove and discard a long strip of dark green skin from one side of one of the cucumbers. On that same side, continue to pare long thin strips edged in dark green until you reach the seedy portion " you should get about 3 strips. Rotate cucumber a quarter turn and continue paring, working your way around the cucumber. Repeat with the remaining cucumbers " you will need about 3 dozen strips in total. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the cucumber strips and blanch for 5 seconds. Immediately drain and refresh under cold running water. Lay the strips on paper towels to dry.
- Blend cream cheese, smoked salmon and horseradish in a small bowl. Shortly before serving, spread about 2 teaspoons of the salmon mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange a cucumber strip over each canapé and top with a few eggs of salmon roe (or red caviar). Garnish with pepper and a dill sprig.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The cucumber strips and salmon spread will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Per piece: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation