Smoked Salmon Canapes
Thin cucumber ribbons add a decorative finish to these classic hors d'oeuvres.
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked salmon, (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 32 slices cocktail pumpernickel bread, crusts trimmed
- 1/4 cup salmon roe, or red caviar (2 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- With a vegetable peeler, remove and discard a long strip of dark green skin from one side of one of the cucumbers. On that same side, continue to pare long thin strips edged in dark green until you reach the seedy portion " you should get about 3 strips. Rotate cucumber a quarter turn and continue paring, working your way around the cucumber. Repeat with the remaining cucumbers " you will need about 3 dozen strips in total. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the cucumber strips and blanch for 5 seconds. Immediately drain and refresh under cold running water. Lay the strips on paper towels to dry.
- Blend cream cheese, smoked salmon and horseradish in a small bowl. Shortly before serving, spread about 2 teaspoons of the salmon mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange a cucumber strip over each canapé and top with a few eggs of salmon roe (or red caviar). Garnish with pepper and a dill sprig.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The cucumber strips and salmon spread will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Per piece: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)