Smoked Salmon Canapes
Thin cucumber ribbons add a decorative finish to these classic hors d'oeuvres.
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked salmon, (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 32 slices cocktail pumpernickel bread, crusts trimmed
- 1/4 cup salmon roe, or red caviar (2 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- With a vegetable peeler, remove and discard a long strip of dark green skin from one side of one of the cucumbers. On that same side, continue to pare long thin strips edged in dark green until you reach the seedy portion " you should get about 3 strips. Rotate cucumber a quarter turn and continue paring, working your way around the cucumber. Repeat with the remaining cucumbers " you will need about 3 dozen strips in total. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the cucumber strips and blanch for 5 seconds. Immediately drain and refresh under cold running water. Lay the strips on paper towels to dry.
- Blend cream cheese, smoked salmon and horseradish in a small bowl. Shortly before serving, spread about 2 teaspoons of the salmon mixture on each slice of bread. Arrange a cucumber strip over each canapé and top with a few eggs of salmon roe (or red caviar). Garnish with pepper and a dill sprig.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The cucumber strips and salmon spread will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Per piece: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient