Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Chile powder, cumin and ginger combined with a touch of maple syrup create a spicy-sweet flavor addition to a traditional Thanksgiving player.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, (4-5 large)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pierce each sweet potato in several places with a fork. Place directly on the oven rack and roast until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Slip off the skins and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch slices; transfer to a large bowl. Add butter. Smash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or fork until fluffy but some lumps remain. Add maple syrup, chili powder, ground cumin, ginger, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind in a spice mill or blender into a fine powder.
Per serving: 113 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- October/November 2005