Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Chile powder, cumin and ginger combined with a touch of maple syrup create a spicy-sweet flavor addition to a traditional Thanksgiving player.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, (4-5 large)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pierce each sweet potato in several places with a fork. Place directly on the oven rack and roast until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Slip off the skins and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch slices; transfer to a large bowl. Add butter. Smash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or fork until fluffy but some lumps remain. Add maple syrup, chili powder, ground cumin, ginger, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind in a spice mill or blender into a fine powder.
Per serving: 113 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- October/November 2005