Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Chile powder, cumin and ginger combined with a touch of maple syrup create a spicy-sweet flavor addition to a traditional Thanksgiving player.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, (4-5 large)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pierce each sweet potato in several places with a fork. Place directly on the oven rack and roast until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Slip off the skins and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch slices; transfer to a large bowl. Add butter. Smash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or fork until fluffy but some lumps remain. Add maple syrup, chili powder, ground cumin, ginger, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind in a spice mill or blender into a fine powder.
Per serving: 113 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2005