Slow-Cooker Quinoa-Summer Squash Casserole
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
As this layered slow-cooker squash casserole recipe cooks, the liquid from the tangy tomatillo salsa and summer squash is absorbed by the quinoa, adding tons of flavor to the final dish.
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 poblano or bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, divided
- 2 pounds small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Combine tomatillos, tomatoes, pepper, onion, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer quinoa, 1/3 cup cheese and all of the squash in the slow cooker. Top with another 1/3 cup cheese. Spread the tomatillo mixture on top, but don’t stir the ingredients together. (Refrigerate the remaining cheese to use for the topping.)
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. Serve sprinkled with oregano and the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
Tips & Notes
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 111 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Potassium & Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014