Slow-Cooker Quinoa-Summer Squash Casserole
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
As this layered slow-cooker squash casserole recipe cooks, the liquid from the tangy tomatillo salsa and summer squash is absorbed by the quinoa, adding tons of flavor to the final dish.
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 poblano or bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, divided
- 2 pounds small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Combine tomatillos, tomatoes, pepper, onion, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer quinoa, 1/3 cup cheese and all of the squash in the slow cooker. Top with another 1/3 cup cheese. Spread the tomatillo mixture on top, but don’t stir the ingredients together. (Refrigerate the remaining cheese to use for the topping.)
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. Serve sprinkled with oregano and the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
Tips & Notes
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 111 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Potassium & Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014