Slow-Cooker Quinoa-Summer Squash Casserole
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
As this layered slow-cooker squash casserole recipe cooks, the liquid from the tangy tomatillo salsa and summer squash is absorbed by the quinoa, adding tons of flavor to the final dish.
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 poblano or bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, divided
- 2 pounds small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Combine tomatillos, tomatoes, pepper, onion, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer quinoa, 1/3 cup cheese and all of the squash in the slow cooker. Top with another 1/3 cup cheese. Spread the tomatillo mixture on top, but don’t stir the ingredients together. (Refrigerate the remaining cheese to use for the topping.)
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. Serve sprinkled with oregano and the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
Per serving: 111 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Potassium & Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- May/June 2014