Slow-Cooker Quinoa-Summer Squash Casserole
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
As this layered slow-cooker squash casserole recipe cooks, the liquid from the tangy tomatillo salsa and summer squash is absorbed by the quinoa, adding tons of flavor to the final dish.
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 poblano or bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, divided
- 2 pounds small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Combine tomatillos, tomatoes, pepper, onion, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer quinoa, 1/3 cup cheese and all of the squash in the slow cooker. Top with another 1/3 cup cheese. Spread the tomatillo mixture on top, but don’t stir the ingredients together. (Refrigerate the remaining cheese to use for the topping.)
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. Serve sprinkled with oregano and the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
Per serving: 111 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Potassium & Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- May/June 2014