Slow-Cooker Orange-Scented Pot Roast with Olives
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Zesty orange and fragrant bay leaves flavor this healthy, saucy slow-cooker pot roast recipe. Stir in the olives at the end so they don’t lose their brininess as this slow-cooker pot roast recipe cooks. Serve with a green salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 pound new potatoes or small peeled turnips
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Combine potatoes (or turnips), carrots, onion, tomatoes, orange zest and juice, garlic and bay leaves in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Put beef on top and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours (or on Low for 8 hours).
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Remove vegetables to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon. Skim any fat from the cooking liquid, then stir in olives and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Slice the meat and serve with the vegetables and the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep vegetables; combine tomatoes, zest, juice, garlic and bay leaves; trim beef; cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Per serving: 343 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 4 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 806 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (206% daily value), Zinc (61% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- March/April 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)