Slow-Cooker Orange-Scented Pot Roast with Olives
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Zesty orange and fragrant bay leaves flavor this healthy, saucy slow-cooker pot roast recipe. Stir in the olives at the end so they don’t lose their brininess as this slow-cooker pot roast recipe cooks. Serve with a green salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 pound new potatoes or small peeled turnips
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Combine potatoes (or turnips), carrots, onion, tomatoes, orange zest and juice, garlic and bay leaves in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Put beef on top and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours (or on Low for 8 hours).
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Remove vegetables to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon. Skim any fat from the cooking liquid, then stir in olives and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Slice the meat and serve with the vegetables and the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep vegetables; combine tomatoes, zest, juice, garlic and bay leaves; trim beef; cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 343 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 4 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 806 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (206% daily value), Zinc (61% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013