Slow-Cooker Orange-Scented Pot Roast with Olives
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Zesty orange and fragrant bay leaves flavor this healthy, saucy slow-cooker pot roast recipe. Stir in the olives at the end so they don’t lose their brininess as this slow-cooker pot roast recipe cooks. Serve with a green salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 pound new potatoes or small peeled turnips
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Combine potatoes (or turnips), carrots, onion, tomatoes, orange zest and juice, garlic and bay leaves in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Put beef on top and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours (or on Low for 8 hours).
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Remove vegetables to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon. Skim any fat from the cooking liquid, then stir in olives and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Slice the meat and serve with the vegetables and the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep vegetables; combine tomatoes, zest, juice, garlic and bay leaves; trim beef; cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 343 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 4 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 806 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (206% daily value), Zinc (61% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- March/April 2013