From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Picadillo, a Latin American-style hash, is usually made with ground beef. This one uses bison or lean beef and plenty of spices including chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground bison or lean (90% lean or leaner) ground beef
- 4 ounces chorizo-style cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed or coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups chopped seeded Cubanelle or Anaheim peppers
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bison (or beef) and sausage and cook, breaking up the bison (or beef) with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 6 minutes. If necessary, transfer to a colander and drain any extra fat, then return to the skillet.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon; cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste and vinegar until combined.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in onion, peppers, corn, olives and garlic. Add tomatoes with their juice.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir the picadillo to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate the mixture in a large container. Transfer to the slow cooker to cook. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Per serving: 311 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 551 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Zinc (37% dv), Vitamin A (34% dv), Iron (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Central/South American
- January/February 2012