Slow-Cooker Honey-Orange Chicken Drumsticks
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This slow-cooker chicken recipe makes a perfect alternative to standard tomato-based barbecued chicken. Both kids and adults will devour these drumsticks, doused in a honey-sweetened sauce spiked with orange, ginger and garlic.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 medium chicken drumsticks (3-3 1/2 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Combine honey, orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce (or tamari), garlic, ginger, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add drumsticks, pour in the sauce and mix to coat. Cover and cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat without touching bone, 2 to 3 hours on High or 4 hours on Low.
- Transfer the drumsticks to a bowl. Very carefully pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a medium skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced and syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the sauce over the drumsticks and stir to coat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip the skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 245 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 150 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 15 g added sugars; 16 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 0 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 6 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2014