Slow-Cooker German Potato Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This vinegary German-style potato salad recipe is a lighter alternative to typical mayonnaise-based potato salad. And, instead of boiling, the potatoes are simmered in the slow cooker. This healthy slow-cooker potato salad recipe tastes great when served warm or at room temperature. Fingerling potatoes make it especially pretty, but any type of yellow-flesh potato cut into 1-inch pieces will work.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (or quartered, if large)
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool, reserving the drippings. Crumble the cooled bacon and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Off the heat, add vinegar to the pan. When it stops steaming, scrape up any browned bits. Whisk mustard and flour in a small bowl; add the vinegar mixture and whisk until combined. Whisk in salt and pepper.
- Combine potatoes, celery, onion and the dressing in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir until the vegetables are well coated. Cover and cook on Low for 5 hours.
- To serve, stir in dill and the bacon.
Per serving: 91 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 172 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- May/June 2014