Slow-Cooker German Potato Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This vinegary German-style potato salad recipe is a lighter alternative to typical mayonnaise-based potato salad. And, instead of boiling, the potatoes are simmered in the slow cooker. This healthy slow-cooker potato salad recipe tastes great when served warm or at room temperature. Fingerling potatoes make it especially pretty, but any type of yellow-flesh potato cut into 1-inch pieces will work.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (or quartered, if large)
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool, reserving the drippings. Crumble the cooled bacon and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Off the heat, add vinegar to the pan. When it stops steaming, scrape up any browned bits. Whisk mustard and flour in a small bowl; add the vinegar mixture and whisk until combined. Whisk in salt and pepper.
- Combine potatoes, celery, onion and the dressing in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir until the vegetables are well coated. Cover and cook on Low for 5 hours.
- To serve, stir in dill and the bacon.
Tips & Notes
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 91 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 172 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- May/June 2014